Good question! While academics are usually a big part of the decision to attend a particular college or university, much of your time will be spent engaged in activities outside of the classroom.
With this in mind, this page is designed to give you a little taste of some of the activities happening both on and off campus on a regular basis. While it may be somewhat natural to conclude that Wheeling Jesuit University is located near Wheeling (it's only 10 minutes to the Riverfront), what most people don't realize is that we are only an hour from downtown Pittsburgh. In addition, there are two major shopping plazas near campus. The Highlands are 10 minutes away and is located right off of I-70 on the Cabela Drive exit. The other, Ohio Valley Mall, is 15 minutes away off of I-70.
So while there are always activities happening on campus, when you are looking to get away from campus for a while, there's everything Wheeling and Pittsburgh have to offer within a short distance of campus.
Here's a taste of some of the activities going on around campus on a regular basis:
- Residence Life sponsors programs in the residence halls on a regular basis. Look for signs advertising these in the halls.
- The Campus Activities Board has programs happening around campus all semester. Please refer to the Campus Calendar for times and dates of these events.
- There are a number of Clubs and Organizations to get involved in which have meetings and help students engage in a particular area of interest.
- The Career Development Center sponsors ongoing events which can also be found on the Campus Calendar.
- Campus Ministry sponsors many activites including Mass, retreats, Small Prayer Communities and Discussion Groups.
- The Service for Social Action Center sponsors activities and trips raising our awareness of the needs of the communities in our area as well as outside of Wheeling.
- There's always an opportunity to cheer on the Cardinals who are on different athletic teams. You can find their season schedules here.
If you need to take a break and get off campus for a while, here are some resources you might be interested in:
There's plenty to get involved in at Wheeling Jesuit University. You can always talk to your Resident Assistant or Resident Director if you need help getting connected to something you're interested in.