Procedures for Accident or Breakdown of University Vehicle
- IN CASE OF AN ACCIDENT, PLEASE CONTACT THE POLICE. THE VEHICLE INSURANCE INFORMATION IS LOCATED IN THE UNIVERSITY VEHICLE. PLEASE REPORT TO THE ACCIDENT TO THE YOUR IMMEDIATE SUPERVISOR AND THE FINANCIAL ADMINISTRATION OFFICE IMMEDIATELY.
- IN CASE OF AN EMERGENCY OR SERIOUS DELAY, DRIVER AND UNIVERSITY EMPLOYEE TRAVELING WITH THE VEHICLE MUST DO THE FOLLOWING:
- Have information on the number of travelers and their names that are with the group.
- Secure assistance
- contact State Police or local police
- emergency squad
- contact transportation coordinator
- Take whatever immediate actions are necessary to secure the safety of the people traveling with the groups and of the vehicle itself.
- Contact the University as soon as possible - use the following numbers:
- 1-800-624-6992 - 8:30 AM to 5:00 PM - this is the switchboard. The switchboard can transfer calls to several offices. During these hours contact the Physical Plant at ext. 2241 or 304-243-2241.
- 304-243-2486 - Campus Safety & Security - the security officer can make contact with appropriate university officials.
For reference, here are other University numbers:
304-243-2166 Transportation Coordinator
304-243-2233 University President's Office
304-243-2241 Physical Plant
304-243-2321 Academic Affairs
304-243-2257 Student Affairs
- Things to know when contacting the University about troubles:
- State who you are.
- Know where you are - be as specific as possible - know the city, state, highway or street location
- Know a phone number where you can be reached
- State what group you are with (Sports team, organization, etc)
- Know which vehicle you are in.
- State what is wrong - status of people - are they safe? where? status of vehicle
- PROCEDURES TO BE FOLLOWED BY THE UNIVERSITY UPON NOTIFICATION OF A DELAY, ACCIDENT OR OTHER PROBLEM WITH THE BUS, VAN OR OTHER STUDENTS ON A TRIP.
- Upon receipt of call, obtain the following information:
- Who is calling?
- What is location?
- What group is involved? Get the number of University students, employees involved and their names.
- What is phone number where the caller or others can be reached?
- What is wrong?
- If a University vehicle is involved, which one(s)?
- What steps have been taken to secure safety of people and their property and the University's property?
- What is the location of anyone that was injured (i.e., name of hospital)?
- Contact Transportation Coordinator – Alternate Transportation
- Contact the V.P. for Student Affairs, 304-243-4422, who will discuss the status of the situation and determine with the caller how he/she and/or the group should proceed.
- The V.P. for Student Affairs will contact the University President's Office and other necessary University Officials.
- If injuries are involved:
- Contact University Relations
- Contact hospital where injured have been taken
- If damage to vehicle, contact Executive Vice President and Chief Financial Officer.
- If an athletic team is involved contact the Athletic Director.
- If students will miss classes contact the Senior Vice President for Academic & Student Affairs.
- After an assessment of the situation and consultation with the Vice President for Student Affairs determination will be made if contact with parents is necessary. Before contact is made with parents make sure that all relevant information about each student is available and confirmed.