Director, PPE Program, Duke University
Professor; Political Science Department, Duke University
Economics Department, Duke University (secondary)
Sanford School of Public Policy, Duke University (secondary)
- Ph.D. (Economics, 1984), Washington University
- M.A. (Economics, 1982), Washington University
- B.A. (Economics, 1980), Davidson College
Duke University-Wide Teaching Prizes:
- NAACP "Image" Award - "Teaching About Race in America" 2003
- Howard Johnson Award for Excellence in Teaching - 2004
- Bass Family Term Chair for Excellence in Undergraduate Education, 2006-2011
- Formal Theory Section Head, Southern Political Science Association, 1997
- Advisory Panel, Political Science Section, NSF, 1997-9, 2000
- President, Public Choice Society, 1996-8
- Public Policy Section Head, Southern Political Science Association, 1996
- Director, Master of Public Administration Program, UNC-CH: 7-1993 to 6-1995
- Chair, Department of Political Science, Duke University, 2000-2003, 2003-2006, 2007-2010
- "World" Editor (outside of Europe), Public Choice, 2005-2009
- Director, PPE Certificate Program, Duke University, 2010-present
- President, North Carolina Political Science Association, 2011-12
- Co-Editor (with Chris Coyne, under Editor-in-Chief Robert Whaples) of The Independent
Review, February 2013-present.
- Elected member, Duke Academic/Faculty Council, elected 2012-present.
- Elected member, Duke College of Arts and Sciences Council, elected May 2014-present.
- Elected also to Executive Committee of Arts and Sciences Council, May 2014.
- Appointed as "Parliamentarian" of the Arts and Sciences Council, August 1, 2014 to present.