Date to be reviewed:
|Director of Human Resources|
Wheeling Jesuit University supports the official use of social media to conduct outreach and of email and telephones to conduct business. This policy reflects the official Information Technology Services policies on these items.
2.1 Policy Statement
Official University policies and procedures regarding the use of technology may be found through the University’s Information Technology Services Department to include the following:
- Social Media – To establish the criteria and procedure for creating a University presence or participation on social media sites including blogs, podcasts, discussion forums, on-line collaborative information and publishing systems, RSS feeds, video sharing and networks such as Facebook and MySpace; and
- Email – To define the appropriate transmission of electronic information though a mail protocol sent from a University email address via computer or cell phone; and
- Telephone – To define the acceptable parameters of voice communication usage, including both land lines and cell phone, while working at the University.
When in doubt, the policies and procedures containing in the Information Technology Services Department will prevail.
2.2 Social Media
- All officially recognized social media accounts may be obtained by contacting the University Information Technology Services Department. Only those sites listed are approved for University usage on a daily basis.
- All users of officially sanctioned social media sites must adhere to the policies and procedures noted in the Information Technology Services policy manual. Employees may not access personal accounts on University time or University equipment.
- The Informational Technology Services policy manual lists prohibited use, personal use, monitoring, global / campus mailings and student mailings activities.
- University employees are required to become familiar with and have knowledge of these policies and procedures noted in the Information Technology Services policy manual.
- Voice communications devices are intended to be used by employees for University business. That being said, a reasonable amount of University resources and time for personal voice communications use is acceptable. Such personal usage should be limited to break times and lunch times, and only as needed for urgent, personal, business.
- Use of any personal voice communications devices during classes, scheduled meetings, on work details, or on University scheduled time and at University work stations for personal use is prohibited (exception: emergency calls).
This policy applies to all faculty, staff and administrative employees, vendors and agents operating on behalf of the University, on University time or on University equipment.
Any employee found to have violated this policy may be subject to disciplinary action, up to and including termination of employment. This applies to vendors and agents operating on behalf of the University.
The Director of Human Resources, in conjunction with the Vice President of Information Technology Services, has the authority to change, modify or approve exceptions to this policy at any time with or without notice, and in compliance with the Information Technology Services policy manual, with the approval of the Executive Committee through the University President.