Date to be reviewed:
|Director of Human Resources|
Wheeling Jesuit University will maintain a process that is clear and consistent for candidates and vacancies and comply with all federal and state laws covering the hiring process.
2.0 POLICY STATEMENT
2.1 Applicants / Candidates
- The Human Resource Department will maintain, by position posting, a complete file containing:
- A copy of all postings and locations where posted;
- A copy of each applicant's information received within the time frame specified by the posting;
- An Applicant Flow Log on each position.
- A Hiring Checklist noting dates when various transactions were completed.
- Interview questionnaires.
- Interview evaluations.
- The University will only accept resumes or applications in response to posted position vacancies and within the time limits indicated. All applications received via regular mail or email in response to a posted position vacancy within the time limits indicated will be retained in the position file for the defined period of time.
- An individual whose application and resume have been reviewed an who meets the basic, minimum, posted qualifications will be considered an 'applicant' and noted on the applicant flow log.
- Applicants will be evaluated and prioritized - those who exceed the minimum qualifications will be given preference over those who simply meet the minimum qualifications.
- Applicants subsequently selected for interviews will be considered possible 'candidates' for the position vacancy.
2.2 Pre-Interview Requirements
- All candidates must complete an application as part of the interview process, preferably prior to the actual interview date.
- Interviewers are to formulate a list of questions which they intend to use with all candidates. The list must be forwarded to Human Resources for a compliance review and an approved list of questions will be returned to the interviewer.
- All candidates must be, at minimum, interviewed according to the questionnaire. Additional questions may arise from the candidate's responses but those should be for clarification and understanding of a candidates response.
- A packet for each candidate to be interviewed containing a resume, application, questionnaire and post-interview evaluation form.
2.3 Post-Interview Requirements
- The interviewer(s) must score and select a candidates interviewed. Once a candidate is selected both a Request for Offer Letter and Recruiting a Diverse Workforce forms must be completed.
- All forms, completed questionnaires and candidates materials are to be returned to Human Resources within two days of the last scheduled interview. Candidates' files will be retained in a secure location within the Human Resource Department.
- If no candidates are selected for hire from the pool of candidates made available, the interviewer may return to the original pool of applicants or repost the vacancy. No one with less that the posted qualifications will be interviewed.
2.4 Pre-Hire Procedures
- The successful candidate must complete the necessary forms authorizing Human Resources to complete the required pre-employment documentation. No candidate will be hired without this documentation being complete and the results meeting the approval of the University. Any questions about the results of this documentation should be directed to the hiring administrator and discussed. If there is an alleged error in any of the documentation or reports, the burden of proof will be upon the candidate to resolve any errors or omissions that may have affected the documentation.
- Human Resources will contact the successful candidate via telephone with a verbal offer. After the verbal offer has been accepted, a written offer will be mailed. The hiring manager may contact the successful candidate with a verbal offer but only following completion of the necessary pre-employment documentation, establishment of the pay range and agreement of the Human Resource Department.
- The Director of Human Resources has the authority to change, modify or approve exceptions to this policy at any time with or without notice and with the approval of the University President.
- Request For Offer Letter
- Recruiting a Diverse Workforce Form
- Pre-Employment Documentation Policy