Employment: Budgeted Hiring Process
|William Rickle, S.J.
Date to be reviewed:
|Director of Human Resources
Included in the annual budgeting process are both the COMPENSATION BUDGET (covering both salary and wages for existing positions) and an OPEN POSITIONS BUDGET (for new or vacant positions covering all units of the University to include projected salary or wages).
2.0 POLICY STATEMENT
2.1 COMPENSATION BUDGET - Approved (Existing) Positions
All existing, pre-approved, positions and actual compensation for each will be listed in the annual Compensation Budget by department and the appropriate account. This Budget will be part of the annual Budgeting Process undertaken by the Executive Team functioning as the President's Budget Committee. The Compensation Budget is subject to executive approval by the President and the CFO.
2.2 OPEN POSITIONS BUDGET - Unapproved (Proposed) Positions
2.2.1 The Open Positions Budget will consist of two (2) parts:
2.2.2 Once approved through the process, the requisition for the position in Part "A" will be matched with the compensation for that position from Part "B." Both the position and the associated money to cover compensation will be transferred out of the Open Positions Budget and into the Department awarded the approved new position.
- Requisitions for NEW, as of yet unapproved, positions will be placed in the Open Positions Budget "A" upon receipt of the initial requisition.
Requisitions for VACANT, approved, positions will be placed in the Open
- Positions Budget "A" for processing.
- All money forecast to cover compensation for NEW positions will be placed into Open Positions Budget "B."
- All money from the Compensation Budget available for VACANT positions will be placed into Open Positions Budget "B."
2.2.3 The Executive Team can "pre-load" the Open Positions Budget during the budgeting process with approved monies to be drawn against as NEW positons are subsequently approved and filled. The money from the Compensation Budget for all previously approved positions that are cancelled or left unfilled will be placed into the Open Positions Budget "B" and held in reserve against the budget or future position. The Open Positions Budget will be part of the annual Budgeting Process undertaken by the Executive Team functioning as the President's Budget Committee.
2.3 Upon approval, both budgets become the responsibility of the Human Resources Department. Copies will be made available to the Executive Team.
2.4 All position requisitions for both VACANT Positons in the current Compensation Budget and NEW but as yet unapproved positions will be placed in Open Positions Budget "A" where they will be assessed by the University Personnel Committee. This committee will consist of the Director of Human Resources, the University Senior Vice President representing the University President as his designee, and the Chief Financial Officer who will monitor the finances and expenses associated with all positions.
2.5 Procedure for Filling / Creating a Position
2.5.1 Filling / Creating a Position
2.5.2 Once a VACANT positon is approved or a NEW, previously unapproved position is approved, a Job Requisition will be valid for a period of three (3) weeks (posted) with an option to continue the posting up to an additional three (3) weeks. The resulting position posting will lapse if not filled within that time. Human Resources will support the recruitment and advertising process to ensure compliance with all applicable laws, requirements, and University policies concerning affirmative action and equal opportunity for employment.
- To fill a vacant, previously approved, position in the compensation budget or to create a new and as yet unapproved position, the appropriate Vice President, Dean, or Director will provide to Human Resources a signed Job Requisition including an attached job description. Positions will be evaluated to insure that they conform to all applicable University policies. The position will be immediately recorded in Human Resources as being "received" and it will be placed into Open Positions Budget "A."
- The Personnel Committee will evaluate all requisitions. There are two criteria on which a job requisition will be evaluated: Whether it is NEW or a REPLACEMENT (VACANT) and whether it is NECESSARY or UNNECESSARY. ALL positions will be evaluated by the committee against these criteria. There are four (4) options:
- A position that is a NECESSARY REPLACEMENT (VACANT) will be approved by the committee; the position will be removed from Open Positions Budget "A" and matched with the appropriate salary from the Salaried Budget.
- A position that is an UNNECESSARY REPLACEMENT (VACANT) will be discussed by the Committee with the Requisitioning Party to determine the true need. The Committee will seek to balance and prioritize needs across the University. Consequently, an existing position may be placed on-hold or rejected, taken off the Approved Compensation Budget and the money for that positon will be removed from the Compensation Budget and placed into Open Positions Budget "B" and held in reserves against future positions.
- A position that is NEW AND UNNECESSARY will be discussed by the Committee with the Requisitioning Party. It will be rejected and the position will be removed from Open Positions Budget "A."
- position that is NEW AND NECESSARY will be forwarded to the Budget Committee. The Budget Committee can REJECT the new position at which point it will be sent back to Human Resources or they can APPROVE the position, place it into the Open Positions Budget "A," money for the positon will be placed into Open Positions Budget "B" and it will be sent to Human Resources for posting and processing.
2.6 Applications, Candidates, and Interviews
2.6.1 New or open Administration and Staff positions:
2.7 Compensation (Salary and Wages)
2.6.2 For new or open Faculty positions:
- Applicants for open positions will be reviewed by Human Resources to verify that they conform to the minimum posted qualifications and requirements specified within the job description. Applicants who meet those criteria will be considered as candidates and their information will be forwarded to the requisitioning department for consideration in the interview process per University policies and procedures.
- The requisitioning department must conduct all interviews and will be responsible for selecting the final candidate(s).
- When a candidate is selected, the requisitioning department will forward all interview materials and a signed Request for Offer Letter to Human Resources. All offer letters will be issued by Human Resources with the concurrence of the CFO to certify the availability of funds in the Open Position Budget and that the compensation being offered is within the budgeted limits.
- The departmental search committee will follow the search procedures outlined in the Faculty Handbook and convey its recommendations to the Chief Academic Officer, who will be responsible for selecting the final candidate(s).
- Following consultation with the Faculty Welfare Committee and using the Faculty Salary Plan as a guide, the Chief Academic Officer will determine the salary to be offered, with the approval of Human Resources to ensure the final salary offer is within the position salary limits in the Open Positions Budget, and subject to veto by the Faculty Welfare Committee if the offer exceeds the limits of the Faculty Salary Plan. Any impasse resulting from a veto may be resolved by the Compensation Committee, which shall have final authority as a delegate committee of the University's Board of Trustees.
- The Chief Academic Officer or his or her delegate will be responsible for issuing Faculty offer letters and contracts with the concurrence the CFO to certify the availability of funds in the Open Position Budget. be responsible for selecting the final candidate(s).
2.7.1 Compensation should remain within budgeted parameters. Budgeted monies remaining unused for an approved open position will remain in Open Positions Budget "B" as a reserve held by the offices of Human Resources and Finance.
2.8 If the position posting lapses and a candidate has not been selected, the posting will be closed and unused remaining monies will remain in Open Positions Budget "B."
2.7.2 Compensation requested in excess of the budgeted parameters must be approved by the Personnel Committee with the Director of Human Resources and CFO certifying that funds are available in Open Positons Budget "B" and will be transferred from the Open Positions Budget "B" reserve or reduced from available monies previously allocated for other unfilled positions.
2.7.3 Unfunded positions will not be processed.
2.9 Human Resources will be responsible for all position tracking numbers associated with existing and approved positions
The Director of Human Resources, in conjunction with the CFO and the President of the University, has the authority to approve exceptions to this policy at any time with or without notice, and in compliance with other policy guidelines. All changes or revisions to this policy must be pre-approved by the Board of Trustees in advance.
Personnel Requisition Form
Request for Offer Letter Form