Date to be reviewed:
|Director of Safety and Security|
Wheeling Jesuit University takes seriously its commitment to student and employee life safety, to prevent fires and to prevent the use or abuse of fire protection equipment.
2.0 POLICY STATEMENT
2.1 Policy Statement
Fire regulations dictate that students and employees should be familiar with their facilities and workplace and aware of the nearest exit and alternative exits in the event a fire alarms sounds. The University will conduct fire drills at all buildings at a minimum of twice per calendar year. These drills will lead to a better understanding of what to do in the event of a real fire or other emergency. The University's Annual Fire Report will be available on-line (University website and HR webpage) for all to see.
- When a fire alarm sounds:
- Close windows, turn off lights and electrical equipment, and close door(s) if time allows.
- DO NOT use elevators during an alarm; use the stairwells to exit the building.
- Walk, do not run, to the nearest exit. If the closest exit is blocked by fire or smoke, find an alternative exit. If smoke is in the exit path, get down as low as possible (crawl).
- After exiting the building, move 100 feet away from the building and follow instructions from Security Officers and/or Fire Department Officials.
- DO NOT reenter the building unless/until permitted by authorized fire officials.
- Failure to evacuate a building during a fire alarm can result in a fine by the Fire Department. Repeated failure to exit can result in disciplinary action by the Human Resources Department per the corrective action policy.
The Director of Human Resources and the Director of Safety and Security has the authority to change, modify or approve exceptions to this policy at any time with or without notice and with the approval of the University President.