Date to be reviewed:
|Director of Human Resources|
To provide terminating employee's with a final opportunity to recommend changes, express likes/dislikes and provide feedback to Wheeling Jesuit University. The exit interview allows the employee and representatives of the University to review the final paycheck and ensure that all University property is returned and accounted for so that the employee can depart with a clean record. BLOCKQUOTE>
2.0 POLICY STATEMENT P>
2.1 Policy Statement
Exit interviews should be conducted with all terminating employees including a review of the final paycheck and the termination checklist.
- The Director of Human Resources will conduct exit interviews with all employees who are serving their employment relationship with the University. The Human Resource Department will contact the employee's immediate supervisor to schedule the exit interview.
- An employee who is terminated by the University will be asked to attend a brief exit interview to discuss, at minimum, benefits that may be provided, the checklist of returned items and the final paycheck. The employee has the opportunity to complete the regular exit interview form as briefly or completely as he/she desires or pass on the opportunity.
- An employee who is voluntarily serving his/her relationship with the University will be asked to attend an exit interview to discuss the items noted in (b.) above and to complete a more extensive exit interview. The interview may be done face to face or the employee may elect to write his/her comments on the form.
2.3 Final Pay
- WV Code § 21-5-4 requires that an employee terminated by the University must receive his/her final paycheck within seventy-two (72) hours of the termination. The University will endeavor, where practicable, to issue the final paycheck on the day the employee leaves.
- WV Code § 21-5-4 requires that an employee who voluntarily terminates (retires or resigns) from the University must receive his/her final paycheck immediately provided he/she has given the University at least one (1) pay period's advance notice; if not, then on the next regularly scheduled pay date if he/she has failed to give such notice.
- The University can only deduct from an employee's final paycheck the deductions required under federal or state law, such as taxes or garnishments, or that the employee has authorized specifically in writing.
- Employees who are terminating will be required to return all University provided items specified on the checklist including, but not limited to, computers, cell phones, credit cards, keys, etc. The employee and the Director of Human Resources, or his/her designee, should sign off on the checklist indicating that all items noted therein have been accounted for.
- The employee may be held responsible for items that have not been returned and the University may elect to pursue legal action to either seek the return of the items of recover the cost of those items. OL>
- 2.5 Copies of the exit interview and checklist should be signed by the interviewer and the employee and a copy provided to the employee if he/she requests one. The Human Resource Department will retain all originals.
- 2.6 Authorization
The Director of Human Resources has the authority to change, modify or approve exceptions to this policy at any time with or without notice and with the approval of the University President.